If you asked people who may know me, who I am, they would say I was a pretty decent guy. If you asked people how I carry myself, they would probally say I can be silly but for the most part I am pretty reserved. If you asked people what my hobbies are they would say I like to cook and I love sports. What people don't know is that I have another hobby, a hobby that reveals a whole different side of me. I like to rap! Its very surprising to most. It was mostly surprising to me. I never considered rapping as being one of my many crafts.
It all started September 2005. It was my junior year in highschool. I had just been transferred to a new math class. I did not know that many people. I was sitting in class waiting for the bell to ring. It seemed like it was taking forever. I sat there patiently. I kept noticing the girl across from me kept starring. I just ignored it, I was to eager to get out of class to care about unfriendly glares. I continued to wait and she continued to stare. As I daydreamed and gazed at the clock, I was suddently disturbed by rude and adrupt comments being made by this girl. She was saying all types of random insulting things about me. She made comments referring to me as stupid and even worse things regarding my accident . I sat there speechless, but more so confused not knowing what provoked this attack. I was embarassed, the other people in my classroom could hear the things that she was saying. I distinctly remembering just wanting to leave. Just hoping that the bell would ring. That was longest I ever had to wait for the bell ringing.
The rest of that day was a complete drag. I remember thinking "Why would she do that?", " What Did I do?", most of all I remember being angry. I was angry because I had experienced a life altering trama that changed me forever. I had been working hard to collect the pieces of who I was and who I am now to better myself. It was struggle and that was a very personal topic for me, that she used for her own amusement. She used it against me. She took something I viewed as strength and turned into a weakness. I was angry
When I finally got home all I could think about was finding a healthy way to express myself. I began just talking aloud about how I felt. I had so much to say. I decided to keep track of it and write it down. I began trying to get my thoughts to rhyme. I got tired of writting so I decided to type the words and save it on my labtop. This went on for a few hours. After I finished writting the rap I began reviewing it to memorize it, and tweeking it here and there.
The next day could not come quick enough! I was VERY excited to deliver the rap in front of the class. I mentioned to some of my fellow classmates that I had a new ryhme. They were just as anxious to hear it as me I was to recite it. Finally my time came. She walked in the classsroom at about 1ish in the afternoon. She glanced at weird as usual. She took her seat next to me. I glared at her as she sat and began to recite my lyrics.
By the time I finished, this girl looked frustrated , she was as red as a beat, she was silent all she could say was WHATEVER......The class cheered , and began reciting some of the lyric that I recited.I felt so good about myself especially because I was able to express my anger in a constructive way.
I just want to make it clear that I am not a confrontational person, I don't go around starting problems with people! However I do believe that effective expression is important. Everyone has the right to stand up for themselves. Confrontation is inevitable howeve,r how you handle it when it comes your way is whats important.

I enjoyed this story :) keep rapping --Lauren
ReplyDelete